Federal Criminal Defense Attorney in Tampa and Chicago
Michael J. Petro is a nationally recognized Federal Criminal Defense Attorney. Attorney Petro is a top-ranked Federal Criminal Lawyer because he is tough, smart, and experienced. Mike’s 34+ years of experience will help you out of the toughest legal situations! With 44+ Federal Jury Trials to verdict as lead counsel, Federal Trial Lawyer Michael J. Petro has earned a reputation for providing high-quality, aggressive TRIAL representation in the Federal District Courts.
With 28+ Federal Appeals in the 7th and 5th Circuit, Federal Appeals Attorney Michael J. Petro
has earned a reputation for providing high-quality, aggressive APPELLATE representation in Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal. Mr. Petro’s en banc advocacy in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. NICOLAS GOMEZ, 763 F.3d 845 (2014) set the national standard for limiting the use of FRE 404(b) evidence by DOJ prosecutors.
Federal Criminal Defense Attorney Petro has litigated numerous PRE-TRIAL 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendment Motions to Suppress Evidence including Motions to Suppress Title III Wiretap Evidence. Attorney Petro has litigated extensively numerous Trial Motions in Limine using his extensive knowledge of the Federal Rules of Evidence.
Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer Michael J. Petro has significant experience and success in representing people charged with Federal charges involving Mail Fraud; Wire Fraud; Bank Fraud; Money Laundering; Bid Rigging and Price Fixing; Tax offenses; Public Corruption/Honest Services Fraud; Conspiracy; Possession and Distribution of Controlled Substances; Firearms and Gun Offenses – Felon in Possession of a Gun – 18 USC 922(g); Possession of a Firearm in Furtherance of a Drug Offense or a Crime of Violence – 18 USC 924(c), Immigration Offenses; Embezzlement; Extortion and Blackmail; Civil Rights Violation – 18 USC 242, Pornography Offenses, Supervised Release Violations, Citations to Discover Assets, Copyright/Trademark Offenses.
- Indiana University School of Law. Juris Doctorate, Bloomington, Indiana, 1988.
- Indiana University School of Business, Bachelor of Science, Business Economics and Public Policy, Bloomington, Indiana 1985.
Licensed to Practice:
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Federal District Court – Middle District of Florida, Northern District of Illinois, Southern District of Florida, Northern District of Florida, Central District of Illinois, Northern District of Indiana, and District Court of District of Columbia.
- Federal Court of Appeals – 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- State of Florida and the State of Illinois
- Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office Chicago, Illinois.
- Winnebago County State’s Attorney’s Office Rockford, Illinois.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member
- 7th Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Federal Trial Bar